Friday, April 4, 2014

To GI or not to GI (No Gi)

In my excitement for Metamoris 3 and the submission only format I read a really good interview with Eddie Bravo and in it he talked about his dislike for training with the Gi.  His reasoning is sound because he's arguing for applying Jiu Jitsu to MMA, and I agree with him in that respect.  MMA is a sport and all that scrambling quickness on the ground with nothing to grab and slow an opponent down makes training with no-gi exclusively a lot of sense.

My dreams of MMA fighting have past me by though but I love martial arts and training is the only reason I do any other exercise, but my original motivation for doing the martial arts I have done was for self defense.  Not on the mat, in a ring or any competition, and for that reason I prefer training in my gi.  The stuff I hated about competition like points bothered me for a lot of reasons some of which he mentions in the interview like here:

"A giant percentage of points matches, at the end of the match whoever is winning holds and slows down. Very rarely do you have a guy at the end of a points match - the last minute or 30 seconds - where the guy winning is trying to submit the other guy. You don't really have that that often. You do have it, but it's rare."

I'm glad he laid out his argument the way he did because he's not wrong. But, for all his statements about training with no-gi in preperation for MMA, I think makes the argument for training in the gi for self defense. You can check out the full interview here and the event for Saturday is looking really good, I know I'll be watching it.  What do you guys prefer? Gi or No-Gi?  I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you're rollin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment