Thursday, April 10, 2014

Supplemental training.

   Not all of us our professional fighters or BJJ competitors as much as we would like to be.  We have bills to pay, families to take care of and doing that requires us to have jobs that will sometimes interfere with where we would rather be.  When that happens, in order to keep you mind and body sharp you have to supplement your learning experience somehow.

Both this video and his book I use.

I've always been comfortable using books and videos since I got my first book, The Tao of Jeet Kun Do by Bruce Lee.  It gave me my first work out regiment that prepared me for my future in Martial Arts and the importance of staying fit to keep my body ready to absorb new technique, even as I got older.  I have many books on Martial Arts, various disciplines not just Brazilian Jiu Jitsu since I did other disciplines in my life.  I always found books and videos helpful as supplemntal instruction to what was done at the academy.  This past weekend one of my training partners said, "I can't learn off of videos" and that surprised me.  I wondered why that would be?  I would think videos are more detailed than a book which seems to have been the standard before mass video production and the internet. I asked him to explain, and he said "I don't know, I just can't."  I'm sure it's individual preference but these things don't sell well for no reason, and I have to add this person is the probably one of a few that do not use supplemental instruction.  For the most part, the rest of my training partners do like to supplement their training with books and videos, mainly Youtube videos.

Does anyone else have preferred training supplements or are you like my friend and need a person to show them everything?  Both, are necessary in my opinion if you want to keep an open mind and I think any opportunity to learn is one that should not be passed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment